Sunday, April 10, 2011

Katelyn Update

Oh wow, I kinda feel like I have been playing pretend mom with Mack the last two years. Two kids is kind of a wake up call, but oh so great. I think we are finally coming out of the adjustment period, The Mr. is still getting the naughty out of his system. He has done really well though and loves Miss Kate.
Katelyn is finally doing better. After three days at Primary's, an EEG, EKG, CT scan and x-ray things are looking up. Ever since she was born all of the color would drain from her face and she would get a little blue around her mouth. Surprisingly, a lot of newborns get the blue tinge. But last week, she went completely blue and wasn't breathing enough so we headed up to the ER. Scary, awful and more awful. I now know why my mom would cry when I got hurt.
That first night she had seizure like behavior and stopped breathing. Hence the EEG. That came back normal and we met with a Neurologist on Friday and we are pretty confident that she is not having seizures. I am supposed to keep a journal of her days and the sweet Neurologist gave us her cell phone number in case she looked like she was having another one. But overall, we don't think seizures are causing her not to breath.
Her heart looked great on the X-ray and the EKG, it just goes hummingbird fast. Her average resting rate is 160-170. She is hooked up to a monitor at home and I think that might be improving a little though.
Hopefully, the breathing problem is severe acid reflux. She doesn't really spit up at all, so they think she might be spitting up, choking on it, and it is blocking her airway. We will see how the medication goes.
I really feel like she will be just fine though. Her oxygen levels have been really good and her heart rate seems to be okay most of the time. I am so grateful for good Dr.'s, a great hospital, an amazing husband, a willing family, and friends that took care of Mack.
Katelyn is surprisingly really happy and calm. I can tell she is in pain, but she doesn't cry all the time at all. She is so sweet and really has a calming influence about her. Now enjoy some pictures. Thanks again Melinda! (Before and after pics of the house are coming soon!)




7 comments:

Dasha said...

Oh Annie that is so scary! Glad she's doing better now. And those photos are so freaking adorable.

Gretel said...

She is so beautiful, glad she is doing better

Melinda said...

I'm so sorry! I was so shocked to read this. I'm glad she is doing better. I hope you're able to enjoy some quiet time at home together :)

PS. your blog is so fun :)

Carrie said...

Yikes! I'm so sorry for all you're going through - it's so scary when anything happens to these little ones. I hope things get better!

Carrie O

Matt and Joanna said...

that is really scary, i'm glad that things are looking up. she is so beautiful and you look great! i can't wait to see pics of the house.

Diana said...

It sounds like you have had a pretty crazy time with Katelyn - but I hope that things are continuing to improve for her and for you! It breaks your heart as a parent to see a little one suffer and my heart aches to hear that she isn't doing well. And now I know how you know the Rainbow Cafe leaves something to be desired. Darling pictures!

Lindsay Lou said...

Annie- You have such a beautiful family! I am glad things are looking up for little katelyn. I just want you to know that I miss you