Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tasty Tuesday III

Yup my friends, I made it to week three. So week 1 was salad, week 2 was a main dish... so this week let's make it breakfast. This first recipe comes from Big E., and I must admit it has become a favorite. Last week we made this with freshly ground whole wheat flour and they were SO good. (Wow, that last sentence makes me sound so domestic/homemakerish, but don't be deceived Momma J ground the flour for me.) I am sure that many of you have had this before, it's an oldy but a goody!

German Pancakes
3 egg whites
3 whole eggs
1 c flour
1 c milk
½ tsp salt
½ cube margarine or butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam. Take ½ cube of margarine and put into pan. Place pan in the oven while preparing the batter. In a blender combine egg white, eggs, flour, milk and salt. Mix for 2-3 seconds on a low setting. Use a whip to mix as you pour into the pan leaving some lumps. Bake for 25 minutes.

This next one is a simple granola recipe. I love granola and always wanted to make it but soon found out that I didn't have wheat germ and dandelion oil in my cupboards. Really good granola recipes have such things. But this is a simplified granola, and it is so yummy. I like it best with cold milk in the morning. If you make this remember to keep it in an airtight container. I know I got this off of some website, but I am not sure which one.

Cinnamon Raisin Granola
5 c old-fashioned oats
½ c honey
4 tsp ground cinnamon
½ c packed brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
½ c vegetable oil
1 c raisins or crasins

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, oil, honey, and cinnamon; bring to a boil. (I usually double the syrup) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture, stir to coat. Spread in a large shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. Cool and add raisins. Store in an airtight container.

There you go folks, give them a try!

2 comments:

Brianna and Wade said...

I absolutely LOVE German Pancakes. I love these little postings. Great job keeping this up for 3 weeks!

bRiTtAnY said...

I am so proud of you for keeping this going! I am excited to try these :)