Monday, August 18, 2008

Yippee!

Since I'm not sure how to spell the title that my wife used and I'm too lazy to look it up, I'll stick with more elementary exclamations.


But either way, it is true that we're now the owners of a sweet new - OK, new about 4 years ago. Well, technically 5 years since the new model year of any car is introduced in the middle of the year before. Why is that anyway? I mean how can you have a "2009 car" right now? but clearly I've digressed a bit - 2004 Honda Pilot. I have to say, I never thought I would own one of these things. It does seem a bit "fancy schmancy" for this simpleton. You can just look at its roots to know that it comes from good stock.

NOTE* I'm going into some car stuff for the next little bit so if that doesn't suit you, feel free to skip ahead. Anyway, the Pilot is based on the Acura MDX platform, meaning it's based on a luxury SUV (we'll just skip over the fact that said MDX's lineage can be traced to Honda's minivan; The Odyssey) and boy does it feel like it. No, we don't have leather, a DVD system, or Heated Seats (poor, poor Annie), but it's certainly got a few things we haven't had before. Can you say climate control? No more fiddling with the A/C and the heater to get the temp just right. Also, I love having the car stereo controls mounted on the steering wheel. It comes with a pair of "keyless entry" remotes, has more compartments than you can shake a stick at, and plenty of #@&! cupholders (that's for you, dad). Then there's the space. It's got seating for 8, though the back 3 seats are more to the liking of the vertically challenged. But the front seats and the second row are quite comfy. And then there's the space back there. Both the 3rd and 2nd row of seats fold down easily, and a sheet of 4X8 plywood can lie flat with ease. We actually made a run to the DI on Saturday, along with a trip to the recycle bins thanks to the copious amounts of cardboard after Annie's killer find on baby furniture a little while ago.

OK, I'm done with the specs. Long story short, we love it. I think we got a great deal since demand for anything with more than 4 cylinders is kind of low right now. And with any luck we won't need to buy a car for 10 years - wishful thinking probably, but who knows?.

No comments: